Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Listen

I Try to Listen Better Now

When God gave out brains,
I thought He said trains,
And I missed mine.

When God gave out looks,
I thought He said books,
And I didn't want any.

When God gave out noses,
I thought He said roses,
And I asked for a red one.

When God gave out legs,
I thought He said eggs,
And I asked for two round ones.

When God gave out chins,
I thought He said gins,
And I ordered a double.

When God gave out heads,
I thought He said beds,
And I asked for a soft one.

Since then I'm trying to
Listen Better Now.

-Anonymous

_________________________

Listening is a rare happening among human beings.
You cannot listen to the word another is speaking
if you are preoccupied with your appearance or
with impressing other, or are trying to decide what
you are going to say when the other stops talking,
or are debating about whether what is being said
is true or relevant or agreeable. Such matters have
their place, but only after listening to the words that
is being uttered.

Listening is a primitive act of love in which a person
gives himself to another's word, making himself
accessible and vulnerable to that word.

[Received this from an ex-classmate... back in Jan 1999]

2 comments:

Quirkz said...

LOL =D ! i love this poem! it really cracked me up! lesson learnt in listening ; )

Ms Krong said...

glad u liked it! :D

1st post in May

I did not realise that I had not posted any entries in March and April. Seok Ting's birthday was in March and I ordered Swensen's de...